Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Splitcoast Tutorial: Faux Glass

This week's tutorial on Splitcoast is a fun and beautiful up-cycling project. Mary Prasad shows us how to use plastic packaging to create dimensional embellishments that she describes as 'faux glass'.


 Her sample for the tutorial is a flower, but I thought a layered butterfly would be pretty - I used dies from Impression Obsession to cut the butterflies (Fancy Butterfly die set), and then colored the layers with Touch Twin Markers.



I used inks and acrylic paints to create the background for the butterfly - in the week before we moved I had limited supplies to work with that I could still pull out, so I added that challenge to the project. The sentiment is from smARTworks, now out of business.


 Here's a side view so you can see the dimension on the wings. The technique is fun and easy, and the tutorial is beautiful - I hope you'll give it a try!

Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

  1. Very impressive Dina. I have always love oil paintings but it was never something I could master. The oil look of this is just fantastic. The butterfly ands that final "whala" to the card. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Dina! Thanks for the tutorial, I will definitely try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your colours are so vibrant and pretty. The butterfly is a gorgeous feature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU are simply amazing! I'm going to give this a try! Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dina - this is a really creative way to use the annoying plastic wrappings that are often hard to open...so it would be a great feeling to make something beautiful out of it. I love the butterfly, too, and also love the way you accented the body of the butterfly. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty...must give this a try...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete