Friday, January 31, 2014

Mix-Ability - Layered Backgrounds

Kyra's challenge to us this week is to create layers upon layers on our projects. In honor of Chinese New Year, I put two cards together, having some fun with my background panels on watercolor paper.


I didn't document my process on the backgrounds... I'm not even sure I remember what all I used! Let me think: dye and Versafine inks, white India ink, gold Delicata ink, gold embossing powder, Crafter's Workshop stencils, plastic canvas, spray paint, and Micro Glaze. This background started as Vermillion cardstock, and has several layers of stamps, paints, and inks over it.


The Lanterns image is from my newest release at Impression Obsession, as are all the other stamps I used on the background.


In the corners of the background I sprinkled gold embossing powder randomly, and heated it from the back side of the panel to melt it.


This is my favorite part of the background - I rubbed MicroGlaze through a stencil, then dripped white India ink down through the design - the MicroGlaze is wax based, so it resisted the ink. When I heat set the ink to dry it, the wax melted into the design. I made the tassel from gold embroidery thread, using my BowEasy.


The background on this card is made with a base of watercolor paper. I used the same supplies I listed above, but the effect was somewhat different. I used a different stencil with the MicroGlaze - love that technique!


I wanted to keep the focal panel simple, because the background is so busy. This is watercolor paper that I embossed with a folder from Darice... this is the back side of the embossing, but I liked the letterpress look.


Hope you'll join us at the Mix-Ability Forum!
Thanks for stopping by!

10 comments:

  1. Dina - this is beautiful!
    you lost me on your description of how you made it - but it is absolutely beautiful!
    Sandra ltb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous. The rich colour and texture you have created is very eye catching and is the perfect backdrop for your pretty lanterns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to experiment with the micro glaze. That is a really cool effect! I also love the look of the random melted embossing powder. Thanks for sparking my muse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely stunning!My son is engaged to a lovely young woman of Chinese background. I'll be needing this beautiful stamp. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two very beautiful cards with very elaborate background !.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, so beautiful. I love the image too. Your work looks like a piece of art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing work...so rich and vibrant. Love your creative techniques and resultant gorgeous works of art. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A gorgeous mixed media, impression. Love the colors, the glitter, and the image, and celebration concept.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is drop dead GORGEOUS Dina!!!! Love It!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. absolutely, totally gorgeous. I put a pic of it with credit to you and a link to your blog on my blog; just had to share the beauty of this card. saw that you used new Delicata ink; hope John Petersen at IMAGINE Crafts/Tsukineko saw this post! I'll send the link to him to make sure! Thanks for sharing such a beautiful card!
    debbie

    ReplyDelete