Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thanksgiving

Said I'd share some pictures from our Thanksgiving celebration... I'm so thankful that we're able to have a full traditional meal, even though many of the dishes have to be made from scratch. I spread my cooking out over the week, and really enjoyed that. I was able to make most of the dishes gluten-free, too, so I could enjoy them, too.


On the menu: turkey, dressing, rolls, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy, and cranberry sauce.  We had our small group over to celebrate with us - they come from 4 different regions of the country, and for most of them, these were all new flavors. We had a few western friends come as well for a total of 21 mouths to feed, but we were the only Americans at the party.


The day before our big dinner we had a gas leak in the oven... last year the gas ran out in the middle of cooking the turkey - there's always something! Saturday when the turkey was about halfway done, the power went off. And stayed off until the next day. So thankful we have a gas oven! All that was affected was the dressing (moved from the crockpot to the oven) and the mashed potatoes (mashed by hand instead of in the mixer).


And the party moved outside after dinner was over.



Dessert was pumpkin pie, apple pie, and Klappertaart (a Dutch recipe and local specialty). Here's a link to the Klappertaart recipe, for those who are curious... we added a meringue to the top of ours. We did use fresh young coconuts... if you're somewhere where those aren't available, check your local Asian food store for canned or frozen young coconut meat.



Just a little peek into my life! I'll share more another day. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these, Dina! Can you please share the recipe for the Klappertaart (I think it's the one in the casserole pan)? It looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post today, dina. Great pics. Wonderful friends. Yummy food. You outdid yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm nosey so I had to come look. Your holiday looks perfect, everyone happy with lots of food and those gorgeous palm trees. I don't ever want to live in a place that doesn't have palm trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had to come over here from SCS to learn a bit more about you. I'm intrigued... have no idea where in the world you are. I read your "about me" - you are one energy bundle I'd say. Homeschooling four plus the designing. Yeah for you. HYCCT was new for me this year - amazing the work you ladies put into it. Vielen dank!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm already working on this ornament card! So beautiful - - Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete