Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Splitcoast Tutorial: Coloring (Fabric) Folds

This week's tutorial over on Splitcoast is brought to us by Copic guru Colleen Schaan  - she's sharing some tips for coloring ruffles and folds.


I wanted to apply the principles to something besides a dress, so I printed out this Geranium digital stamp from Power Poppy in a large format, and set to coloring the ripples in the leaves and petals.

I took a couple of pictures as I was working, so you could see a little bit of my process. I used Touch Twin Markers for my coloring. Here are my first 2 stages, laying in shadows and my medium tone. The colors I used are listed below. Before coloring, I spritzed the panel with a homemade mist, made with water and Bister powders.


Here's the first coloring stage on the blooms.


I cut the image in two, for two thank you cards - the sentiment is from Simon Says Stamp.



Second card:


These are the markers I used:


Come on over and learn a coloring tip or two!
Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

  1. WOW...these two cards are beautiful!!! Would love to have seen a video to watch your progress!
    Thanks for sharing Dina!
    Paper Hugs,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the depth you achieved with your coloring technique Dina. TFS your gorgeous cards my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these are gorgeous, Dina, and I love the idea of coloring one image and getting two cards - woohoo! Beautifully done, and thanks for sharing the tutorial! You and Colleen are both amazing artists and colorists! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two Beautiful cards ! Thank you for showing us'how too' It's a great help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did them perfect justice, Dina! Please pop over to SW Missouri and teach me how to color like this...geraniums are one of my favorite flowers. I need to get some Power Poppy stamps too. Paulette S.
    Http://paulettesprettypapercrafts.wordpress.com
    Because my google acct is so jacked up with merged stuff from feed burner and blogger without a blog all on emails that no longer exist.

    ReplyDelete