Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Splitcoast Tutorial: Distress Stain Watercolor

Today's tutorial over on Splitcoast is brought to us by the amazing Heather Telford - she has some beautiful watercolor techniques, and I love it when she shares them with us. This technique is called Distress Stain Watercolor, and it's one of her favorites for inking up stamps directly with Distress Stains, and then blending the ink within the image for a watercolor effect.


I used a new summer image from Impression Obsession called Garden Rose Bouquet, inking it up with the only two Distress Stains I own - Barn Door and Weathered Wood. I'm glad those colors worked! I used the same color markers to deepen the shading in a few areas as well, blending with a water brush.


The background (CAC Thick Chevron) was inked with the same color stains, and lined up with my MISTI... my first attempt was lined up better, but after cutting it to size I stamped over the pattern and didn't like the results. With the cut panel, I couldn't line the stamp up to the edge, So I tried working in the middle of the MISTI instead... and missed. It's straight though... we'll pretend that I meant to have the extra white spaces there, since they give the pattern a little breathing room. The sentiment can be found HERE.


Join us!
Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

  1. Love this technique. Your card and stamped image are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your beautiful water colored card Dina, this is my most favorite medium.
    Thank you for the link to that video tutorial on SCS, she did a lovely and beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, Dina, and so inspiring! I am looking at my stamps in a whole different way now! LOL! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the white. It adds to the over-all pattern texture. The flowers are beautiful, so is the card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the little bit of white showing through the chevron design, Dina. I think it helps tie in the bright white of the sentiment circle. Beautiful work.
    I'm off to check out a couple of items you kindly referenced for us.

    ReplyDelete