Friday, September 12, 2014

Mix-Ability challenge: Scribble Resist

Today's Mix-Ability challenge over at Splitcoast is to scribble bright colors with crayon or oil pastel, then saturate the paper with dark paint or inks. I had a lot of fun experimenting on my card, and came up with a new technique in the process! Here's my card:


The tree outline is actually a new die from Impression Obsession. You can see the template in the photos below... it's a frame die, and it's sized for an A2 card front. I debossed the die outline into watercolor paper by running it through my Big Shot on Tab 1, with the embossing pad underneath.


My coloring was done on the back side of the watercolor panel. I started by rubbing a white oil pastel over the raised outline, then scribbling some fall colors over the leafy area of the tree.


I spritzed the full panel with water and dropped reinkers into the water with a wet brush. The oil pastel resisted the ink, so the colors show through, and the raised outline created boundaries for the color as well.


I love how the color spilled into the border as well. Here's what it looked like as it was drying...


...and a couple of closer looks at the finished piece. I splattered a little bronze paint over the panel and lightly rubbed with some orange Inka Gold before trimming the panel with scissors.




Come play with us!
Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

  1. Lovely! The colours epitomise Autumn my favourite season. This must have been a lot of fun to do. My problem would be leaving it to dry without interference from me! I have so much to learn (sigh). Thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous. Will have to try that technique. Edna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dina, this is so interesting! I have some oil pastels from when my grown kids were in high school art. LOL And I have no idea what to do with them, but I keep everything. I will definately have to try this. Thanks for sharing your artsy projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dina, this is wonderful. I love the fabulous look of texture. The colors are beautiful. What inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I may have given up before it dried completely, which would have been a mistake, and I would have missed the beauty of this technique. Thank you so much for the tutorial. This one I have to try.

    ReplyDelete