Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Splitcoast Tutorial: Partial Die Cutting

This week's tutorial is such a useful one! Debby Hughes is sharing how to make a partial die cut, where only part of the die cuts through the cardstock and you have a portion that stands above a fold. She's made a cute watercolored place card out of watercolor paper. I hope you'll take a peek! Her tutorial is just beautiful.



I wanted to try her method on a larger card, so I cut an 8" piece of cardstock to 4.25" x 8" for my base. I drew a pencil line at 4", and positioned a circle die so the top edge came to 5.5" from the bottom. By the way, this is a great way to fill a regular envelope with a smaller piece of cardstock.


I used stamps from Simon Says Stamp to make a fun thank you card that's already on its way!

The little typewriter is watercolored using Distress markers, Aquamarkers, and a watersoluble graphite pencil. I masked the keys with a clear Sakura Glaze pen before watercoloring - I didn't want to have to worry about being careful in between the keys, and that let me wash right over them.


Hope you'll give this technique a try - there are so many different ways it can be used!
Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

MariLynn said...

This is fabulous. Love how the little red heart looks. Love the black and white gingham ribbon.

JD/ Jill said...

This is a really cute card...Must give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

Kathy Lund said...

Can't wait to try this!

Linda Knox said...

Love it when you watercolor.

Please let me know where you purchased your watersoluble graphite pencil?

Jan Castle said...

Great card Dina....reminds me a little of a flip card?..LOL!
Jan