Friday, June 13, 2014

Mix-Ability challenge: Heat it up!

Anna's Mix-Ability challenge for this week is to use our heat tools with a heat-reactive medium. I used two!

I'm not sure of the name of the technique I used for the base of my panel... maybe it's Layered Embossed Batik Resist? I'm not finding a tutorial anywhere, so I guess that means I need to make one!


I started with a row of clear embossed flowers from My Favorite Things, then added a wash of color with yellow Gelato. I let the panel dry, and added more clear embossed flowers over the coloring and other flowers... colored orange, stamped, and embossed again... and then added a final layer of purple. After everything was dry I put the panel between some layers of newsprint and ironed the embossing powder off, letting it absorb into the newsprint. It's sort of a batik look, and it's a fun one. Because I was using a textured watercolor paper, the embossed images aren't really solid, and I like how that looks.

In the upper left corner, I applied a melted wax medium through a stencil (also MFT). I'll confess that I own this because I had no idea what it was or how to use it, and just really wanted to see what I could do with it. It's cool. It comes in a tin, and you heat it, and can brush or scrape it to seal projects. If I had other supplies for encaustic painting, it would have some use there too, but I probably don't need another new skill.......


I painted over the wax with my finger, and then added some Inka Gold to create some silvery highlights. I heated again toward the center to let the wax melt and drip a little.


Grab your heat gun and join us!
Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

Irish Cherokee said...

Very impressive project Dina. Love the form and flow. This could hang on a wall with a frame around it as a piece of art.

MariLynn said...

Getting to see the whole thing... it is gorgeousness. I thought that I saw inka gold yesterday when I saw the preview. LOVE this card.

Mary Ann said...

WOW!Beautiful card!!!Thanks for sharing!!!

Jan Castle said...

Love the look of your project Dina....makes me want to grab my Weller and give this a try. Will have to save your post for when I have a bit more time tho'. TFS your creativity!!!
Jan

Conniecrafter said...

very cool, love the colors!

Joni said...

This is lovely! I like the layers and movement, and colors..love it! Thanks for sharing the techniques. Off to find wax and whatever MFT is!